Oh where to next ?
Tumut would have to be one of the prettiest blossoming and picturesque towns in NSW. Tumut sits in the western foothills of the NSW Snowy Mountains and has an abundance of natural wonders.
If you enjoy fly fishing, hiking, biking, canoeing or swimming put Tumut on your list.
Things to do..
- The Tumut Visitor Centre, is situated on Snowy Mountains Highway, located in the historic Old Butter Factory. One of the first things I do when visiting a town is visit their information centre . It's always the best starting point to pick up maps and collect information on the local activities plus you can buy local produce and crafts.
- Right next door to the information centre you can visit fine arts and craft at the 5 Ways Gallery, before sweeping into Tumut Broom Factory, which has been making millet brooms since 1946.
- Visit the Montreal Community Theatre. This beautiful theatre is heritage-listed and community owner. It was built in 1929 and is a perfect example of a 1920’s picture theatre. I highly recommend a visit to the theatre as there are not many left in Australia. It is a perfect example of the architect of the 1920's with beautiful art deco style and timber lattice work ceiling.
- Eat in the many cafes, pubs and restaurants
- Fish for Trout in the lake.
- Explore the town.
- The town also host The Falling Leaf Festival every year in April. Unfortunately, this has not gone ahead in the last few years because of covid and rain however I do recommend you try and get down there even if the festival is not on.
Places to eat...
I can't actually recommend just one place because I spent most of my stay exploring the local cafes and restaurants and they were all amazing. Most cafe's have smoked trout on the menu so it become my staple diet while I was there.
Place to stay.
There are many different styles of accommodation in Tumut, you can stay in an BnB, the local hotel, cabins by the lake or stay at the holiday park. I stay at the Riverglade Caravan Park.
At the Riverglade Caravan Park I had an ensuite site which was clean and very well maintained. The park had friendly stuff with excellent facilities and the manager help us organise a fire pit with wood.