Oh where to next ?
Port Macquarie, NSW
Port Macquarie is a large town that not only is a wonderful holiday destination but it is a major service centre with a new hospital and a busy university. It is a town with lots of history which dates back to convict times.
There are many nature reserves with lovely beaches popular with surfers. There are also beautiful walking tracks with panoramic views around the headlands and beaches.
Things to do..
- Beach walks
- Bush walk. There is an amazing walk at Kooloonbung Creek Reserve, it is only a 5 minute walk from the CBD and it covers 52 hectares of natural bushland with beautiful walking tracks and boardwalks to help you enjoy the beauty of the eco-system. Its a great place to take the kids as there is a great picnic area with a giant water dragon sculpture and access to a Historical Cementry for all the history buffs.
- Coastal walks - One of my favourite walks is along the break wall on the TownGreen while you will see colourful graffitied rocks, pupils art and breathtaking views.
- Fishing ( You will need a fishing permit)
- Dolphin Watching cruises
- Whale Watching cruises.
- Eat fish & chips on one of the many venues
- Watch the sunset
- Visit the Koala Hospital , It is opened daily and free entry. You can join a tour and see the Koala Museum exhibit.
- Visit the Sea Acres Rainforest centre, which is part of the NSW National Parks. Here you can enjoy the local Aboriginal culture and rainforest eco display and Aboriginal bush tucker. There is also a beautiful 1.3km loop rainforest boardwalk which is easy to do and a lovely cafe for you to enjoy during your stay.
For more information about Sea Acres Rainforest centre clip on this link.
Places to eat...
Port Macquarie is one of those places that seems to have a cycle of changing cafe's and restaurants, every time I am in town I set out to find a partial cafe or restaurant but find its gone.
I highly recommend picking up one of those visitor guide books that are in most hotels and holiday parks. I just loves these little books as they are full of information.