Gloucester, is a charming town were everyone is friendly and helpful. It is about 80km from the 12 Mile Creek turn off to The Buckets Way along the Pacific High Way. The drive along The Buckets Way is beautiful and very scenic as it takes you through hills known as The Bucketts. The Buckets Way is also a popular route for motor bike clubs so you will see them along the road and at cafes in town.
Things to See and Do
- Visit the Gloucester Visitor Centre at 27 Denison Street, Gloucester.
The staff here are very helpful and they have an amazing range of maps and brochures. There are many beauitful walks in the area so make sure you ask about them.
In case they are closed when you are in town, this is a list of walks the centre recommend which you can google.
* Gloucester Boomerang Discovery Walk
* Copeland Tops State Conservation Area: Mountain Maid Gold Mine Tour
* Copeland Tops State Conservation Area: Basin Loop Trail
* Copeland Tops State Conservation Area: Hidden Treasure Trail
* Woko National Park
* Barrington Tops National Park
* Scenic Drives - 1: Buccan Buccans Circuit
* Scenic Drives - 2: Gloucester Tops
- Visit a local vineyard
- Visit a Farm and go on one of there tours
- Walk around the town and find all the amazing mosaics
- Enjoy a little shopping
- Visit the Museum
The Museum is full of fascinating history & valuable artifacts from early European settlement times back to 1826.
WHERE: 12 Church St, Gloucester NSW
HOURS: Tuesday 10.30am – 1.30 pm; Thursday 10.30am – 1:30pm; Saturday 10.00am – 2.00pm
Other times by appointment.
COST: Adults $5, Families (2 adults + 2 or more children) $12, School students $2. Prices for guided bus tours vary, see their website for details.
Places to eat.
- Cafes - There are plenty of cafes along Church Street, so just take your pick and enjoy.
- Pubs, There are two in town.
The Roundabout Inn at 28 Church Street has great meals and accommodation. For more information click on the link ...http://www.roundaboutinn.com.au
Avon Valley Inn Hotel at 80 Church Street has good wholesome meals at resanable prices.
Bakery - I highly recommend Hebby's Bakery at 55 Church Street. They have delicious pies, cakes, sandwiches and coffees.
Places to stay.
- Gloucester Holiday Park in Denison Street is a large, older style park with lower rates than most. The park gets very busy on the weekends and there are not many showers and toilets in the park. I learnt not to have showers at night as the hot water runs out.
However, the Gloucester River is a big attraction to the park as it runs along the back of the park and has a great swimming spot.
Powered site cost - $28.00
Unpowered site cost - $12.00
- Internet is good in Gloucester.
- Fly's and Mozzies are bad on a hot day so bring the fly spray.
For more information on Gloucester visit ....https://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/hunter/barrington-tops/gloucester